TO THE ONEONTA BRANCH MEMBERS:
Regardless of our current age, we have experienced events like the Kennedy's and Dr. King's assassinations, 9/11, and the involvement of wars in foreign lands, but this pendemic not only impacts us, but all the nations of the world.
The Covid-19 is going to be with us for awhile so let's all be safe and remain healthy, but most of all be patient and ride this major pandemic out to its closure.
Everyone would rather be watching the NCAA basketball games, but this is another type of March Madness--locking us all down in our homes probably longer than a month or more. Just let us all take a deep breath and remember nothing is more important than our health and well being, including all of our family members, close friends and associates.
The Branch will try to keep you in touch with any important business reports we receive from our National and/or State Offices. I just want to fill you in on a few things that have happened.
1. Paul Conway--outstanding job of stepping in for Regina and organizing the articles in the Daily Star during Black History month. All of the articles were so informative and well written. Thank all of you who sent in articles for a job well done,
2. Education Committee (Michelle Osterhoudt and Renee Stanley) thank you for placing the article in the Daily Star for requirements and explanation of the NAACP Tuition Assistance Award. Our cutoff date may have to be extended.
3. The Executive Committee Chairs were contacted by phone and agreed to have our tax return sent in by National with the other branches. Thanks to Poletta Louis for electronically filing our Financial Report with National.
4. Thanks to Poletta Louis and Karen Mihan for their responsibility in keeping track of our membership and sending the forms into National. Poletta Louis, Paul Conway and Joanne Fisher have participated in the Membership training so eventually membership will be completed electronically.
5.As you all know, our April meeting scheduled for April 9, 2020 has been cancelled due to the Covid-19. National and the State has asked us to find another method of meeting--either by teleconference, etc. We will be in touch concerning this. The National and State offices are closed until April 30, 2020.
6. I am sure thatmany of you have received the Census information to respond electronically. PLEASE COMPLETE THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I am asking Tom Heitz, Carol Malz and Sam Allen to keep us informed on things they feel are important regarding the Census.
7. The 2nd Quarterly meeting scheduled to be held the 2nd week in May has been cancelled. Also the Conference which was scheduled in Connecticut in July 2020 is still undecided.
8. When "Updated and Pertinent Information" notices are sent from National or State, we always make sure that they are sent to the membership as these notices are usually an Action Alert and we ask that you participate.
9. THIS IS ALSO THE YEAR FOR OUR BRANCH ELECTIONS so be thinking of members that you may want to nominate for President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer.
10. A notice was sent out to our Executive Committee reminding you of the CRATI TRAINING which officers and committee chairs must register for the training that is appropriate for you. The notice was dated March 27, 2020.
11. I am sill receiving complaints and will be in touch with Legal Redress to discuss same.
Civil rights is important to all of us and we must continue to be strong and help those that are need the NAACP's assistance.
THANK YOU ALL FOR WHAT YOU DO FOR THIS ORGANIZATION!! STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!
If you have any questions concerning the above subjects, please do not hesitate to contact me by email or phone (607)432-5850.
WHEN WE FIGHT, WE WIN!
Lee Fisher, President